Announcing our OCTOBER CALL to ACTION
Greetings from Serres, Greece, where we are now two-thirds of the way through the 4th official OMPowerment Trauma Informed Yoga Teacher Training for Refugees. We are training a record number of over 20 beautiful, dedicated women, who show up everyday and to teach us about yoga and life in ways we never imagined. Dedicating time and energy to this work is easily one of the best things we have ever done.
One of our current trainees says, "(this practice) is like finding a door. Outside the door, there are a lot of things happening, some troubles and pain. My brain wants to open the door and listen to the problems. But when I focus on my breath I can stay inside myself and the door remains closed." The problems are still there but I don't have to focus on them.
As many of you know, we continue to work hard to further develop The OMPowerment Project so that we can empower more and more refugees to lead themselves and members of their communities in the healing practice of trauma informed yoga.
To make this possible, we have set a fundraising target to raise £10,000 by 31 October, 2018. This money will be used to fund four trauma informed, refugee trainings, equivalent to training up to 40 refugees, each of whom will be empowered to take the benefits they receive from the training to their families and communities. Our intention with setting this fundraising target is to use the funds to achieve a ripple effect of healing and self-care to a worldwide refugee community that needs and wants it.
We invite you to take your practice off the mat and join us through our OCTOBER CALL to ACTION by donating to our projects, spreading awareness of our work, and hosting fundraisers that will help us to reach our goal. Some ideas for ways you can support us include:
- Hosting a class (or other event). We have supported a number of teachers with hosting donation yoga classes. Get in touch and we'll send you a promo pack that includes all the info you need, including information about us and templates to use for promoting your class. Some teachers donate all proceeds and others allow students to donate an amount of their choosing.
- Introduce yoga teachers and/or studios to our work and invite them to consider hosting a donation class. We support with marketing and promotion of donation classes and events.
- Spread the word. Share our stories and announcements with your students, colleagues, followers, mailing list, neighbours and their families. Invite them to spread the word within their own networks. Follow us on twitter, instagram and facebook and share information about out projects with family and friends who may be interested in donating.
- Write about us. We are always interested in having guest writers on our blog who can share new perspectives and offer new voices. Are you a journalist? Could you help us get some precious press coverage?
- Create a facebook fundraiser. Our most recent fundraiser raised more than 50% of our target during our last campaign.
- Connect us to any studios, businesses, etc. who may be interested in combining corporate sponsorship and employee wellbeing.
Email us at email@example.com for more information.
100% of all donations go towards delivering our trainings and development of future programming.
Thank you to those of you that have already joined us and so generously donated to our previous campaigns. Every amount helps us towards achieving our goal. For more information about how we use donations please visit: ompower.org/donate
Sending you all much love and gratitude, The OMPowerment Team
"I feel safer and more comfortable...my daughter told me that she can see that I have a lot less stress moving through my body...no matter where you come from or who you are, yoga is something you can do." - OMPowerment Norway Trainee, 2018